The holiday season is here and many homeowners are now busy planning their interior and exterior décor. Before putting up decorations and lights, make sure you understand the risks that come with designing your home for the season. The more you’re informed, the more careful you will become when planning your décor and buying products to use for your home.
At Renewal by Andersen® of Houston, we want to make sure you’ll enjoy your new window replacement in Katy TX this season. Here are some safety tips on decorating your windows and other parts of your home for the holidays:
- When buying holiday lights, choose products that have passed government requirements and standards set by various independent testing laboratories.
- When outlining your windows’ exterior frames with holiday lights, make sure to use outdoor lights. Indoor lights may not be able to withstand exposure to the elements, particularly moisture and snow.
- Avoid overloading your electrical outlets and extensions. Check their capacity and make sure to stay within that range.
- When creating designs to put around your windows using holiday lights, it’s best not to link more than three light strands.
- When using other types of decorations with your holiday lights, make sure they are flame retardant or flame resistant. A piece of décor set over a few light bulbs may be a fire risk, especially when left unattended for a long time.
- If you’re unsure of the decorations you’re going to use, it’s best to keep them away from heat sources.
- Use light clips or hangers to secure holiday lights on your windows, doors, and roof.
Enjoy the holidays with beautiful lights and colorful decors. When decking your halls, windows, and doors, always put your family’s safety in mind.
Need to get new windows? Contact us to learn about window installation in Katy Texas. We offer high quality replacement windows that go well with different architectural styles. Call us at (281) 547-6177 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation and receive an estimate.