According to the Department of Energy, about $35 billion worth of energy is lost through windows every year. Furthermore, a typical household spends between $1,500 and $2,500 on energy usage, with 45% used on cooling and heating.
Apart from having energy-efficient windows in Sugarland Texas, another way to reduce energy cost is to make sure your windows are always in top shape. In addition, proper maintenance helps you avoid damage and pricey repairs or replacements. The first step to maintaining your windows is to perform regular window inspections. It’s recommended to check them at least twice a year, preferably during spring and fall.
At Renewal by Andersen® of Houston, we want you to get the most out of your windows. We’ve prepared a checklist to help you inspect them quickly.
Checking the Frame
- Check for cracks or bowing, as some frames may crack or bow during extreme temperatures
- Look for rotting sections or areas with peeling paint
- Look for dirt or stains
- Assess for deteriorating finishes
If you have windows by Renewal by Andersen, however, you won’t have to worry about your frames. Our frames are made from Fibrex®, which expands and contracts minimally. Furthermore, they don’t decay, rot, or mold. You won’t have to worry about fading or peeling paint.
Assessing the Glass
- Look for condensation, which may signal the presence of air gaps
- Check for cracks
Evaluating Seals and Weather Stripping
- Check the weatherstripping to make sure it is still intact
- Look for worn out glazing seals and gaskets
- Assess for fogging on the inner surface of the glass, which may signal that the sealed glazing has failed
Air and water leaks can often go undetected. Think about consulting our window specialists if you see some problems on your windows after your quick inspection. Although some issues can be repaired, there are instances when it’s more cost-efficient to buy replacement windows, such as picture windows in Sugarland TX.
Get in touch with us today to receive expert advice regarding your windows. If you need to get new ones, we can also help you find the perfect set for your home.